Ref NoDCS/2/7/9
TitleLord's Court
Admin/Biog HistoryConnell, Ward and Lucas were commissioned to build seventy seven flats, called Lord's Court, in 1935-1938 on a site at 32-36 St. John's Wood Road, London. This site overlooked Lord's Cricket Ground, and was owned by Mr F.S. Bennett. Preliminary approval was given by the Ministry of Health and building work was begun. However in June 1959 work was halted and permission was refused for completion. In 1961 planning permission was granted to Trehearne and Norman, Preston and Partners for the completion of flats on the first floor (to become offices) and an extra three storeys to be added to make sixteen maisonette flats. In 1997 permission to demolish the building was granted and in 2000 a block of flats was under construction.
DescriptionContains research material relating to Lord's Court including:

-Published articles, dated 1930-1939, relating to modern buildings in London and the building of Lord's Court
-B&w photographs, [dated c1930s], showing interior and exterior shots during construction, as well as architectural drawings and sketches of Lord's Court in the planning stage
-Copies of architectural drawings produced by Connell, Ward and Lucas including elevation plans and floor layout plans
-Copies of ordnance survey maps showing the location for Lord's Court and surrounding areas
-Copies of the registration form, dated 1961, submitted to London County Council (LCC) related to proposed work on Lord's Court including completion of the first floor and erection of three further storeys for office and residential use
-Correspondence to and from Rendel (née Godwin), dated 2000, and a letter, dated September 2007, from Chris Whittaker to Sharp relating to research on Lord's Court
-Notes, dated 2000-2002, including sketches produced by Rendel (née Godwin) relating to Lord's Court
Extent1 file


Image CaptionCopy of an architectural plan for Lord's Court produced by Connell Ward and Lucas, dated c1930s
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019