Ref NoDCS/2/6/13
Title44 Sinah Lane
Admin/Biog History44 Sinah Lane (also known as 'Cucumber'') on Hayling Island in Hampshire was a private weekend house built by Amyas Connell (of Connell and Ward) in 1934-1935 for Dr L. Haydon and his family. Connell was commissioned at the same time to build a similar weekend house, 42 Sinah Lane (also known as 'Saltings' and 'Salmon') for Dr Robin D. Lawrence and his wife, Anna , who were friends of the Haydons and who wished to holiday together. Plans for the two houses were submitted at the same time to Havant and Waterloo Urban District council and accepted. After completion, the houses were regularly used by both families.

During the Second World War (1939-1945) the residents of Hayling Island were evacuated and the island was used as a decoy to protect nearby Portsea Island and Portsmouth leading to bomb damage to the properties. 44 Sinah Lane was bought in 1942 and stayed with the same family until 2006 (being known as the 'White House' from 1973). A major refurbishment was done [in c2008] by John Winter. Both houses were listed in 1974.
DescriptionContains research material relating to 44 Sinah House Lane, (also known as 'Cucumber) including:

-B&w and colour photographs, [dated c1940s-2002], showing the exterior of the property
-Colour brochure for the sale of 44 Sinah Lane, [dated c2005-2006] with photographs, floorplan and description
Date[c1940s-c2006]
LevelFile
Extent1 file
Thumbnail

DCS_2_6_13.jpg

Image CaptionB&w photograph showing the exterior of 44 Sinah Lane, dated c1940s-1960s
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2018