Ref NoDCS/2/7/1
TitleThe Firs
Admin/Biog HistoryThe Firs in Redhill, Surrey, was an extension to a private Regency house (called The Firs) designed by Ward (of Connell, Ward and Lucas) in 1934-1935 for Miss Edith F. Cooper who wanted four bedsits to live in with her sister and two friends. A second property, called The Firkins, was built in the grounds of this property by Ward in 1934-1935 [see DCS/2/7/2]. By the 1960s slight alterations had been made to The Firs and, despite being listed, by 1985 it had fallen into disrepair. An application was submitted in 1985 for listed building consent to demolish the 1930s extension by Ward but, after a public enquiry involving evidence being submitted by The Thirties Society, the application was rejected.
DescriptionContains research material relating to The Firs including:

-B&w photographs, [dated c1930s], (including two negatives) and colour photographs, dated 2002, showing the exterior of The Firs
-Photocopies of architectural drawings, dated 1934 , by Ward including floor layouts, elevations, and details of alterations
-Published articles, dated 1935-[1985] relating to the completion of the building of The Firs in 1935, restoration work and application for demolition in 1985
-Correspondence and material, dated 1985-1986, relating to the application for listed building consent to demolish the 1930s extension to The Firs by Basil Ward
-Letter, dated January 2000, from Rendel (née Godwin) to Reigate and Banstead Borough Council concerning the history of The Firs and The Firkin [see DCS/2/7/2]
Date1934-2002
LevelFile
Extent1 file
Thumbnail

DCS_2_7_1a.jpg

DCS_2_7_1b.jpg

DCS_2_7_1c.jpg

DCS_2_7_1d.jpg

Image CaptionB&w photograph showing the front of The Firs, including the extension and original building, dated c1930s
B&w photograph showing the rear of extension at The Firs, dated c1930s
Colour photograph showing the exterior of The Firs, dated 2002
Colour photograph showing the exterior of The Firs with a car, dated 2002
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2018