Ref NoDCS/2/7/17
Title66 Frognal: General papers
Admin/Biog History66 Frognal in Hampstead, London, was a private house designed by Colin Lucas (of Connell, Ward and Lucas) in 1936-1938 and commissioned by Geoffrey Walford, a solicitor, his wife, Ursula, and her four children from a previous marriage. The project involved lengthy delays in the planning application process involving Hampstead Borough Council and strong opposition from architects and local residents and the case appeared regularly in the press. The case was referred to the London County Council (LCC) for a decision. It was initially passed but the case then went to arbitration and went in favour of the opposition. Walford then took the case to High Court, where he won, and the project finally went ahead.

Contractors Y.J. Lovell and son were employed and the project was completed in 1939. On the outbreak of the Second World War (1939-1945) the Walfords evacuated the house and LCC took possession to use the building as a fire alarm station. In 1942 the railings from the house were salvaged for the war effort.

In 1943 Walford (who remained close with Lucas and his family) sold the property (at a loss) for £6750 to Sir Richard Acland, MP. In 1973 the house was Grade II listed and became Grade II* listed in 1999. Trevor Dannatt also made changes to the house which are thought to have been approved of by Connell, Ward and Lucas. In 2000 Avanti Architects adapted the house for new owners whilst being considerate of the original design.
DescriptionContains research material relating to 66 Frognal including:

-B&w photographs (including photocopies), [dated c1936-1939] , showing interior and exterior shots of 66 Frognal during construction and on completion as well as architectural drawings showing the site and floor layouts
-Notes, [dated 1936-1938], written by Connell, Ward and Lucas on 66 Frognal including details of the design of the house and the building schedule
-List of visitors to 66 Frognal, [dated 1936-1938] as well as quotes of members [of the council] for and against the building of 66 Frognal
-Photocopies of architectural drawings, dated 1936, produced by Connell, Ward and Lucas showing floor layouts, elevation plans and sketches of 66 Frognal
-Published articles, dated 1937-1938, relating to the building of 66 Frognal and opposition from local residents and council planners; published articles, dated 1976, relating to the restoration work by Trevor Dannat. Also includes a copy of an article relating to the restoration work by Avanti Architects: Mead, A. 2005 'In the modern world' The Architects' Journal, vol. 221, no. 11, pp. 24-33
-Copy of the Docomomo international register fiche for 66 Frognal, [dated c1990s-2000s], relating to its listed building status
Date[c1936-2000s]
LevelFile
Extent1 file
Thumbnail

DCS_2_7_17.jpg

Image CaptionPhotocopy of an architectural drawing for 66 Frognal, dated 17 March 1938
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2018