Ref NoDCS/2/7/4
TitleKent House
Admin/Biog HistoryKent House at 13-17 Ferdinand St., Camden, London, were working-class flats built by Connell, Ward and Lucas in 1934-1935 after winning a competition by St. Pancras House Improvement Society Ltd (a public utility society based in Euston). Cyril Sweett was the quantity surveyor and Walter Taylor (Builders) Ltd were also used. The flats were opened by Sir Wyndham Deedes in December 1935 with Geoffrey Shakespeare (Parliamentary secretary to the Ministry of Health) also present at the opening. The Duke of Kent visited on 23 December with Christmas presents and Leonard Day took photos which were included in his film, 'Castles in Chalk Farm'. The building was Grade II listed and in 2006 underwent a half million pound upgrade.
DescriptionContains research material relating to Kent House including:

-Published articles (including photocopies), dated 1935, relating to the completion of Kent House
-B&w photographs, [dated c1930s], and colour photographs, dated 2003, showing architectural models, the construction of Kent House and the exterior and interior on completion. Also includes b&w photograph showing the Duke of Kent (Prince Edward (1902-1942)) visiting residents at the newly completed Kent House to give Christmas presents in 1935.
-Research notes by Rendel (née Godwin), dated 2000
Date1935-2003
LevelFile
Extent1 file
Thumbnail

DCS_2_7_4a.jpg

DCS_2_7_4b.jpg

DCS_2_7_4c.jpg

Image CaptionB&w photograph showing Kent House during construction, dated c1930s
B&w photograph showing the exterior of Kent House, dated c1930s
Colour photograph showing the exterior of Kent House, dated 2003
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019